Most of the dogs listed on our website live in a foster home – generally with the person who rescued them from the streets. This means these are not shelter dogs – but instead know how to live in a home with other people, animals, etc. There is a tremendous investment of love, time, and money that goes into turning these dogs from frightened, abused, starving, abandoned creatures to the beauties your see on our website.
For that reason, we are very careful to screen each applicant because we want the match to be right for both the family in the home and the dog being adopted. If you adopt a dog from Baja Dogs, we introduce you to its rescuer (rescatistas in Spanish) and allow you the opportunity to find out as many details as you need. You can also remain in contact with the rescatista as long as you like so that you can share the dog’s story with the person who rescued and rehabilitated it and ask any questions you might have in the future about the dog’s history. We also recommend adopters review Pet’s first 30 days in your home so you know exactly how to get your dog off to a great start in its new home.
The logistics of adopting a dog are this:
- Complete and submit an online Adoption Application giving us as much information as possible.
- Telephone interview followed by a home visit or Skype call so we can see your home, your other animals, and get any questions cleared up. Sometimes we do this Skype call so you can see the dog you want to adopt in action and meet its rescuer.
- Once approved, you will be asked to pay a partially refundable adoption fee depending on where the dog is going which includes up to $100 in transport fees.
- Once the fee is paid, we at Baja Dogs establish transport for your dog and work out delivery which is usually to an airport near your city (unless you are here in La Paz).
- You agree to the Adoption Contract and send that back to us.
- You get your dog and begin a wonderful adventure together!
- We hope you will send us photos and updates for our Happy Tails page!
If you have any other questions, you can contact a member of our Adoption Team at email@example.com and we’ll get right back to you.