It's simple. Adopting saves lives.
Scroll down to see our
adoption fees explained.
Please read the complete explanation of our adoption fees below, which is particularly important if your dog’s new home will be in the US or Canada. Once you have read the following, you can pay your adoption fee using the links on this page to the right (or below if using a mobile device with limited screen width).
Our adoption fees are based on where you will receive the dog (its final destination):
- Dog’s destination is the US or Canada: the fee is $400 USD
- Dog is staying in Baja California Sur: Click the MX flag to pay $1500 MXN (pesos).
If you adopt the dog while you are here in La Paz, but plan to take the dog home with you to the US or Canada, you pay the US or Canadian fee. This helps us ensure the dog meets all vaccine, customs, and documentation standards required to travel internationally and to clear customs.
Adoption fees and a signed adoption contract are due at the time the adoption is approved in order to reserve the dog for you prior to travel.
In addition to the adoption fee, adopters are responsible for paying the transport costs involved in getting the dog to your final destination. Typical transport fees are $300 USD and include the cost of getting the dog to San Diego and a one way flight via Alaska Air Cargo. In some instances, there is an additional layover fee if the flight is not direct, nonstop.
During the interview process, your adoption coordinator will let you know the approximate cost of transporting your adopted dog to your city. Once we have transport arranged for your dog, you will receive an invoice for the transport fees, which you can pay using the link on this page.
Travel crates are very difficult, if not impossible, to purchase in La Paz, so our crates must be shipped back and reused. To make sure the crates are returned, we require a $75 USD refundable crate deposit fee. The fee will be refunded to you when the crate and all of its parts are returned to a Baja Dogs volunteer. Thanks for your help and understanding!
When a Baja dog is rescued, it’s journey is just beginning. Your adoption fee helps cover some of the following expenses we incur to make sure your adopted dog is healthy and ready for adoption, including:
Our volunteer health and wellness program includes:
- Tests for erlichiosis, anaplasma, heartworm, and lyme disease; and treatment if the dog tests positive for any of these diseases;
- Transmissible Venereal Tumor cystology for adult dogs and treatment if positive;
- Preventive care including vaccines, deworming, and flea/tick prevention as required;
- Sterilization (spay and neuter) surgery and after-care medications, including antibiotics and pain medications;
- Diagnosis and treatment of other health issues such as orthopedic surgeries to repair bone deformities or injuries, skin tests and treatments, xrays, etc.
- Final health exam that includes International Health Certificate for clearance through US/Canadian/Mexican customs; and
- Microchipping for dogs adopted in the US or Canada
- Our food program, which remains our highest single monthly expense.
If you change your mind after you’ve signed an adoption contract but prior to receiving the dog, $100 USD or $100 CAD of the adoption fee is non-refundable. The rest is refunded to you.
Any transport fees paid are also nonrefundable, as we cannot obtain a refund from some airlines.
If the dog is adopted locally, the $1500 MXN adoption fee is nonrefundable.
Once an adopter takes possession of a dog, all adoptions fees are non-refundable.
If you are a tax-paying resident of the US and your dog will live with you in the US, your fees are deductible on your US federal tax return.
If you are living in Mexico and your dog will live with you here, you will pay the Mexican Peso fee and in that case, there is no tax deduction.
Adoption Fee (US tax-deductible)
Refundable Crate Deposit Fee
Adoption Fee Mexico
This fee is paid if you are adopting your dog in Mexico and your dog will reside in Mexico with you.
This fee will go to our Mexican affiliate, Voluntarios por los perros de La Paz, A.C.